south africa elephants

south africa elephants

Monday, January 26, 2015

Week 70 - January 26, 15


Dear Mom,

It has been a pretty good week. I have done some pretty fun stuff this week . It sounds like the week went pretty well that side. I can't believe I am now starting my fourth week here in Randburg. It still seems like I just arrived here. 

Last Monday for p-day, was really fun just touring around Sandton city. Elder Peterson and I just walked around and took pictures and it was cool. It is such a nice city, it felt like I was in Vegas or something like that. We saw Mandela square, and walked out on the street and saw all the cool buildings and nice hotels. It is weird to think that is my area. 
Tuesday was a pretty normal day of teaching. We taught a few recent converts, and a less active. We have found this new lady named Willamina, and her daughter Ester. They are great investigators. They are black. Willamina has been really confused by her past church, and she just wants to not be confused. It is great that we can bring the truth and help her with the confusion. 
Wednesday was another normal day, except Elder Peterson and I went out to eat in Sandton that night for his birthday that was on Friday. We went to a really nice Indian place in the Sandton City mall. It was really fun! 
Thursday was just another normal day I guess of teaching. We taught Willamina again. She lives in a little room behind a huge house. She is the maid or help that works at this home for a white family. 
Friday was Elder Petersons birthday. We had zone meeting, then headed to our area. We first went to sister Masters and hung out, and she gave him a little gift. She is a sweet old lady. We then taught a few people. Then that night we went to Jackies, our investigator, and she had a little party. We ate chips and dip, played games, and she gave us a little meal. We had a good time there. It is fun to play with Nathan. He is 12, and he is like a little brother. He is a member, and has been for a while. He started to go to primary when he was very young. 
Saturday we had a temple trip! This was great. I got some good pictures at the temple. We then tried to teach some people around downtown Johannesburg, because that is our area as well. We didn't manage to see any of them. 
It's been a pretty eventful week I guess. 

Yeah it is nice that President Dunn is changing out the leadership. It gives other missionaries the opportunity. Also a lot of the old zone leaders had really aspired to those positions, so President Dunn is now putting in just normal average Joe missionaries. 
Elder Johnson, past companion actually goes home in just a few weeks. He is in Elder Stephens group that was the AP. 

 You asked about us traveling to some of the animal reserves.  We can't go to Kruger unless we are serving by it. It is like all the way up in Limpopo. That is something we would have to do if we came back here.  I just asked Elder Neilson if he knew Elder Haynes. He said he does. He is serving right by me, and being trained by Elder Barton that was with me in Secunda. 

It sounds like MLK day was pretty nice! That is cool you used a condo up at Brian Head. Was the snow any good??
That is cool that region is this next week. Where are they hosting it? I hope that Calvin will tapper a bit this week, and be able to drop some time at region. I am excited for the team.  Just tell him to put some Vaseline on his shoulders and chest haha!! I hope that your little motivational video goes well Thursday ;) I am sure that they will appreciate it. Just ask Calvin what music to put on it. 

You asked if I felt safe.  I actually feel very safe here. It is a very nice area. Like you said we don't talk to many people on the streets, the fences are too big at people’s houses. Most of the people we teach come through way of referral. So we really have to work with the members here, and it is going well.

Even though the area I am in is mostly white, that is really weird for me - There are still a lot of black's we are teaching. Actually most of the people we are teaching are black. I think our only white investigator right now is Jackie. I guess most of our ward is white though. So I am associating with whites a lot more than I have before. It is like I have had to relearn my table manors to eat at white members homes haha!! In township it is all eating with your hands basically! There is still a lot of racism here. but really it goes both ways. I don't think the whites hate the blacks, they just are scared of them because they are normally the cause of all the crime and bad things. 

The members are awesome. They really spoil us here. It is known in our mission to be the ward that feeds the missionaries the most and just spoils them. Like our feeding list this week is full for everyday!! It is so nice because I have never had this before!! I am normally only getting fed once a week before if I was lucky.  In the poor townships where I have been serving, the people do not have much.  Like I said I hope it doesn't make me fat!! haha.. I guess my favorite member is Sister Masters. She is the old English widow that we went to Lion and Rhino park with. She is such a funny sarcastic lady that we just laugh with. We visit her a couple times a week just to give here company. I think later this week we are going to a fountain that plays music to have a picnic with her. 

Our investigators are doing all right for now. The two that were progressing very well are doing alright. I guess our best right now is Jackie. She is great. I guess the problem is we don't see her too often. She has begun her battle with smoking. We made her a little chart that she has to follow to quite. She has to eliminate one cigarette every two days. She is at about 15 cigarettes a day right now. We will keep working with her until she has completely quite. She has been so involved with the church already she just knows how everything runs. We also met some cool new people this last week. I told you a bit about Willamina and Ester. They even came to church yesterday!! We also met with Willamina's friend named Fransine, and we answered every single question she had!! It was really cool. So it is exciting to keep getting new people to teach! 

Grandma sent me an email. She told me about her little adventure!! That sounds like it will be a really fun trip. I hope she enjoys herself and doesn't get hurt. Fun dad got a smoker, and I hope that meat was nice!! I also hope that Randall and Katrina are doing well. Excited to hear she has a new job. What is Katrina doing in school??

You'll have to let me know who asked Calvin to sweathearts. I am sure he is excited for his first dance!! He seems like he is growing up so much! It is weird to think that Calvin and Carson have grown up so much since I left. 
I also hope some of the swimmers shine! I looked at the Utah swim coach website at the rankings. I really hope that the team can do well also. I guess that is a bit sad that Park Cities relays are so much faster. Hopefully it will still be close!! You will have to let me know about region.

Well I am so glad that I am here. It is so great to continue to bring people to the truth. Just like Jackson said we do have the good news. It is so nice to see the truth of the gospel enter into someone’s heart and to see them feel the spirit. I have such a great testimony of the gospel, and I know without a doubt that this is the true church. I just pray that I can keep bringing this knowledge to the people here. I am also very grateful for the temple. I am so grateful that I could go there this last week! There is just such an amazing feeling of peace in the temple. I hope that you and dad are still getting the chance to regularly go to the temple. I have just learned how important it is to live the gospel in our lives! Well I love you and I hope you have a good week. 

Love

Your son

No comments:

Post a Comment