south africa elephants

south africa elephants

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Week 68 - January 12, 15


Dear Mom and Dad
Thank you for the prayers on Tuesday, I really felt comfort and peace as the transfer happened. Just so you know I am happy and doing well. I am now serving in Randburg. My area also covers Sandton City, and downtown Johannesburg. It is probably the wealthiest area in South Africa. This is the first town I have served in. I am excited though to serve here. It already seems like a super great area. We have a really big thriving ward. Most of the people in the ward are white, so that is weird for me haha. I have only served in townships with all blacks.  Being a town, and very wealthy tracting and contacting are not very effective because people are very prideful. We mostly work with our members and receive referrals. The members are awesome here. They feed us like everyday, and take care of us very well. This is the first area that I have been fed this much. So much for my diet haha!! We also are driving full time because our area is so big, so we have the car everyday. 
My new companion is Elder Peterson. He is from Vernal Utah. He has been out on mission just barely a year. He is 19, but turns 20 this month. He graduated in 2013, but went to a semester at Utah State. He is an awesome kid. He is quiet, but we get a long really well. It is just nice to be with an American companion again, because we can relate a lot. 

My move was alright. I filled a whole car with my stuff. Like the trunk and the back seat. I did bring all my weights and weight bench as well. it was a bit hectic moving everything, but I am all settled in now. My new flat is pretty nice. It is a lot more spacious than my last flat. We have 2 huge rooms, like living area's, then a bedroom, bathroom, and a big kitchen.  It is a great flat. It has a super nice shower with the shower jets on the wall as well!!! It is  very comfortable and a nice flat. It also has carpet in the rooms, which most the flats don't have. Most of them are all tile floors. 

I am getting a long with Elder Peterson very well. He likes me a lot more than his last companion, so he was happy to have an American and easy to get along with.   He is a fun kid, and a great missionary. He actually teaches a lot, unlike Elder Maraetefau. It is nice to have him teach a lot of the lessons. 

We have some great investigators here though. Most the people we are teaching are referrals, and I have found on my mission that referrals are more serious than people we find. Being a town though we don't have as many investigators as I had in township. 


I'm glad that Blake is back into school and doing ok.  You will have to do something fun with him for his Birthday and try to cheer him up. Tell him happy birthday for me. 

It sounds like you are very busy with Cello. It seems like every time you tell me you have more students. I hope you can handle that and not get too frustrated. That is good you are still trying to swim. I hope you are staying healthy and taking care of yourself. I hope you aren't stressing yourself too much.

The weather is still hot here.   We aren't getting much rain, at least not this last week. Yeah I am still dying of heat some days. I do have the car full time though so I'm not out walking in the sun too much. 


Exciting to hear about the High School swimming. That is great that they beat Wasatch!! I guess that does show they really might have a chance at winning state!! I guess they all just need to stay healthy and keep working hard in the pool this next month before state!! I am sure Calvin will start to drop time as he begins to taper for region and state. 

Thank you for the great thought about the parable of the Laborer and the vineyard.   This is something I have learned a lot on mission. It is important we set goals, but we need to think in terms of achieving our own personal best efforts, rather than in terms of doing better than somebody else.  If we fall into the trap of comparing our goals and accomplishments to those of everyone around us, we will likely think we’re falling short over and over.  I was actually reading about the 11th hour this morning, and it is a great principle. I have also learned that leadership as a missionary doesn't matter. I haven't really been upset about not receiving leadership.  I am happy to just be a normal missionary that gets to teach people. That is really what I came out to do, and not to be a leader. 

I guess I didn't tell you why I am emailing you today. Yesterday we went to the Lion and Rhino park with a member, so we didn't have time to email. We went with an old lady named Sister Masters. She is an old English lady, and she is awesome. We go visit her often because she is lonely because she lost her husband a few months back. She has a super funny sense of humor, so we just laugh with her a whole bunch!! I guess the funniest part of our trip was just having a nice braai. Sister masters packed us a really nice picnic. It reminded me of the nice food you would pack as we would go on trips and things. 

 I have not gotten any mail recently, but I think mail will still get through. If you would like you can start sending letters. I just think they will still take a long time so the news will be old as it arrives. I am still skeptical about packages though. I still wouldn't send any packages. I will still get mail the same way as always, through my Zone Leaders. I will still see them every Friday. They pick up supplies from the office every Thursday. I am only about 20-30 minutes from the mission office, but I don't go there to pick stuff up. 

Well I hope this email was informative and not too boring. Just know that I am happy with my changes, and i am already settled in. I love you and have a great week..

Love,

Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment