south africa elephants

south africa elephants

Monday, May 5, 2014

May 5, 2014 - week 33


Dear Mom and Dad,
 It has been an interesting week.  I think that I am secure and able to handle the things that are happening. Thank you for the good story.

Transfers went good. We drove to Roodeport on Monday because Elder Barton had a trainers meeting, and Elder Buchanan had his final interview. We then stayed at the mission home because it wasn't worth driving back, then turning around in the morning. Elder Cazier did leave Secunda. My new companion's name is Elder Dye. He is from Idaho Falls, Idaho. This is now my third companion from Idaho. It is hard to adjust to new but we have been getting along well.  Speaking of pictures I am not sure if I got one with Cazier, but I will find one. I will also get one with Elder Dye and send them both later.

Elder Buchanan left, because he was going home. His parents actually picked him up at transfers, and that was really cool to see. I videoed him walking to meet them. So Elder Barton is still here, and he is training a new missionary. His new companion's name is Elder Willombe or something like that. He is from Zambia. I will send the old district picture with Cazier Buchanan and Barton, and then I will get the new district picture this Friday. 
Just like you said a township is an informal settlement , outside of a formal town, that is reserved for non whites.
It is very interesting to learn more about the townships. Emba is huge though, but that is surprising the population is listed as 91,000. I will most likely be able to tell you more next week

That sounds like a great plan for skyping. I think we will be here at the church all day most likely.  Excited to hear from you.

Dad is a very good man. I wish I could have been there to hear him speak. Of course Calvin didn't get up, but I can't blame him, most morning here I don't get up on time. Calvin mentioned something about going to the sand dunes last week, so I am glad you took him. It sounds like it was a great time. I will look at the dropbox pictures. 

 Leohba the sister I baptized last week is from Zimbabwe. Her sister is a member, Sister Irene. They both live in Emba, and they are great. Sister Irene is the one who initiated us teaching here. From our first lesson she was on date to be baptized. We got through the lessons very quickly, and she learned very fast. She is a great lady, and I enjoyed teaching her. She did request that I baptize her, and It was great. It was a bit hard because the font wasn't all the way full, so I had to baptize her 3 times!!! I think this scared her a bit, but it was still a very spiritual experience for her. She had to go back to Zimbabwe for a couple weeks, so she will receive the Holy Ghost in 2 weeks. 

It is mostly hard for people to attend church because of money. It cost money for them to catch a taxi into the church, and most people don't have money. The people here are crazy! They get up before dad does!!! They normally wake up at around 4 or 5 in the morning, and that is most of the people I have talked to. We are working right now to form a group of members in Emba, and then I think the work would take off there. 

I am so grateful for the gospel, and especially grateful for you and dad raising me in the gospel. I don't think I would be able to accept missionaries. Sometimes it is frustrating to know we have the truth, and people don't want to hear it. As I have studies more about the gospel my testimony has grown so much. I know this is the one true gospel on the earth. Watching conference last week reaffirmed that to me. Speaking of conference I saw Kyle in the choir a few times, and it was really cool. Mostly on the Sunday sessions. 

I am glad you are getting the wedding invitations sent out. Good luck in all the wedding preparations.  Hope Randall is doing ok and sorry to hear his back is bothering him.
Packages are very fun to receive, but I know they are very expensive. I do have to pay a lot here sometimes. Normally like R30, so like 3 dollars. One I had to pay R230, so like 23 dollars is the most I have spent. It is probably better for me to just buy thinks if I need them. i will start thinking of things now for the Christmas package so it is worthwhile. 

I told dad last week, but not sure I told you. I met Glenda's sister at the Jo-burg temple. Her and her husband are temple workers there. She was very nice to me. I don't remember there names, but she told me that Glenda wasn't doing well especially with her husband passing. I am so glad for our knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. It makes things much easier. I hope the funeral was good, and I hope her kids are all doing well. 


I am doing well. Some days I do wish It was just over, but other days I really enjoy the work I am doing.   I love you and I am so thankful for all of your love and support. I am glad that everyone is healthy and happy on that end of the world. I worry a lot about you and the family, but I know you are being watched over. I look forward to speaking with you next week. 

Love

Elder Mitchell Brown 

No comments:

Post a Comment