south africa elephants

south africa elephants

Monday, March 16, 2015

March 15, 15


Dear Mom,

Well It is great to hear from you. That is great to hear Jackie has emailed you. Thank you for forwarding her email to me. She is such a great lady!! She has gone through so many struggles in her life, and she is doing great. Jackie did mention that she emailed you, and that you had responded. She didn't tell me what you had said or anything, but it seemed like she really appreciated your response. Thank you for what you said and encouraging her. 

I have felt good this week. It was another slow week, but we did some good things to set up for this next week. Elder Peterson is doing great. He actually saw the doctor for the last time 2 weeks ago. He really has been great, and it hasn't been too hard dealing with his depression. I guess at times for me it is pretty hard, especially when he just shuts down and doesn't want to talk. This normally happens when he gets upset at something, or annoyed with me. We have gotten really good at communicating though, and so it doesn't stay awkward for too long. I guess it really has taught me a lot. 

I am happy because this week we have taught some really good quality lessons. I don't really care about getting quantity, but if we are teaching lessons that are leading people somewhere I feel good. We have been busy this week with meetings and service,  which is great. Elder Peterson has actually been really positive, and sometimes I feel like the negative one, but I think I am doing good. I guess like I said though some days when he is upset it is mentally taxing on me. 

Yeah we have really been finding some ways to stay busy. In Zone Conference we really talked about that a lot, and how service is a great thing to keep our time occupied. We have made a goal though this week to go out and do some tracking! 


I am glad that you and dad got to go on a little get away to Vegas. I am sure that was something he really enjoyed for his birthday! I am also glad you got the chance to stop in at the temple. We normally go to the temple every other transfer. So I went back in January, so that was last transfer. WE didn't have a temple trip this transfer, so I will go next transfer. Our transfer is in 2 weeks, I think Elder Peterson will be leaving. 
It has been a good week. Monday we didn't go to Botanical Gardens with Sister Masters, but we are going to go with her next Monday. So we just kind of chilled that day. 
Tuesday was a good teaching day. We had about six lessons. We taught 4 investigators. This man named MK that is an old black guy that can't read English, but he speaks great. He has invited us a few times to come to his church, so he is a bit backwards on the missionary work haha!! We then saw Willamina and Ester. They are doing great. They are still coming to church, and I think that they will make it for there baptism in April. We taught a new guy named Hanock. His sister is a member in Durban, but he is from Mallowee. He comes here for business every week, and stays with his brother. He has a very complicated life. But he is really interested in the gospel. He is Baptist, but only because he wanted a church to join. We ended Tuesday night by teaching Jackie. She has such a strong testimony. We also got to serve her twice this week. 

Wednesday started again with our singing! It is fun to see the joy we bring to the old folks!! We then taught a less active member, and just talked about her life and stuff. She has been struggling to get a job, but she has had a few interviews the last few weeks. 
WE then went and served Jackie at her Tuck Shop.
(A tuck shop is a small, food-selling retailer.  I think tuck is slang for food.  The tuck shop is at a school, it is frequently the only place (other than the school canteen) where monetary transactions can be made. the tuck shop is mainly staffed by volunteers from the community, which may include students, parents and, missionaries ) It is always fun to spend time with her. She is so much fun, and we just laugh a lot. We help pack food for kids to take home, like kids that don't have very much food at home. We also help get stuff for people, and cook little sandwiches. We also help her clean her shop. 
After Jackie we taught a recent convert boy named Aimen. His mom is a member, so that is nice. We are just reviewing the missionary lessons. We just taught the gospel of Jesus Christ. 
The night was topped off my making dounuts with Sister Masters. She really loves our company, and it is so fun to be with her. 

Thursday we were in our Zone Conference all day! WE had to be there at 7:30, and we didn't leave until 3:30. We did learn some great stuff though!! We talked a lot about Service and how it can help our work. Sister Dunn wants us to get involved in the communities even, by doing service. I guess our first priority it to teach, but then other than that we can find through service. I guess it was just a good meeting, but really long to be sitting and in a suit. We also got some good lessons in that night with Willamina, and a less active lady. 

Friday was really slow. We had our district meeting that morning/afternoon. WE got finished at about 3. WE then just went around and visited people. WE also ended the night by going and having dinner with Jackie and Nathan.

Saturday morning we went to serve Jackie again at her concession stand place. They have cricket games at the school on Saturday, so she is really busy. It was fun to help her out again. She is really coming with her smoking. She is now down to 5 cigarettes a day!! We will keep working with her for that. WE had to move her baptism date to April so she can be off smoking for a while!

Sunday was pretty normal. We had a great church service. Sacrament meeting went great. We had four investigators there. There were some great talks as well. President and Sister Dunn came and joined our ward. You are always a bit nerves when the mission president walks in, but I really love the Dunn's. 

Well that was the week, I am sad to hear about that accident of those couples from Richfield. I read the article you sent me, and it is really sad. I got a bit nervous when I started to read that it was going to be someone I knew, but it wasn't! 
I am so grateful for the gospel, and I hope that I can keep growing and learning. I have seen how important trials are in our lives. They are no fun, but they are how we become better, or worse I guess as you said. I hope that I can keep facing the trials I am faced with. I know that anything is possible with the Lord and his gospel. I thank you for your constant support. I hope I am not painting too much of pretty  picture. I am doing good, but some days really are hard, and I don't have any motivation. I hope that I can stay motivated! Well I love you

Love
Your Son

No comments:

Post a Comment