south africa elephants

south africa elephants

Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 53 - September 21, 14


Dear Mom and Dad

Well again it is very good to hear from you. I am so glad that you finally felt at peace for me this past week. That makes me feel good. I hope that you can continue to stay at peace because I am very content with where I am, and what I am doing. I am very happy and well. I am so excited to finally be over the hump! It doesn't feel any different, but it is just nice to say that I am over a year now. We didn't do anything too fun for my year mark on Wednesday, but on Saturday we went out to eat. We had a meeting on Saturday night with two of the Seventies, and they addressed a lot about African culture and the church. There are a lot of cultural things that people do that aren't in line with church standards, so Elder Bednar who is over this area had them do a meeting to address these things. After this meeting we went out and had a nice steak, and it is crazy it was only like 15 dollars, but I guess 150 rand which is expensive here. So that was really fun.

 Elder Zebe is awesome. He is one of my favorite companions. It is so nice to have a companion you like, and someone you can easily get a long with. We just talk and laugh all the time, whether it is on the street walking or in the flat. Elder Zebe has one transfer left after this one. He will be going home on November 25th, so like 2 days before thanksgiving. I am pretty sure I will be his companion until then. I also hope that he can keep working hard, but we will do fun last things on his bucket list before he goes home, which I am excited for.
Like today we are going to get him an African gown that he wants before he goes home.

The area is great. It is just a normal township. I guess it is more like Tembisa rather than Secunda. We are full time in township just like I was in Hospital View(Tembisa). We are walking every other day, so on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. It is a lot of walking sometimes, but walking in township is fun. There is just a lot going on, so it is pretty fun. The chapel is in the township, so it is easier I guess for people to get to church. The chapel is in Vosloorus 1's area, because I am Vosloorus 2. So the township is split in 2. I feel pretty safe here in township. I would much rather serve in township that in town.
 We aren't really worried about people getting to church like I was in Secunda.
It is awesome to see people's progress. That is probably one of the most satisfying things in missionary work. We have these two guys in there twenties that are pretty sweet that we are teaching. Their names are Kgagelo, and Manthole. They are progressing well, and they will be baptized the 12th of next month. We just call them the boys because we teach them outside of one of their friend’s house, and everyone hangs out there. We have made pretty good friends with a lot of the guys there, so it is way fun to go and see them.
We are also teaching an old man named Herbert. I told you that we go see him in the old folks home. He will also be baptized next month. He is just old and funny. He always tells us the same things when we go. He complains about he old folks home, but that place is pretty bad.
We have a couple other cool investigators, but not really worth telling you about.

We have some great members that we visit each week. One family we go see like everyday just to hang out. The Tesse family. The mom is like a mom to us, but we laugh and have a lot of fun.

That is cool that you saw some of the zone pictures. I am in the Bedfordview zone, not the Vaal. Yes all the missionaries that live in my complex are in my zone. We don't really ever see them though. It is a huge complex, with like 20 apartment buildings at least, so it is really spread out.

I am glad you are still able to find time to go up the mountain and enjoy the green. I hope that Carson is still enjoying football.

You asked about getting groceries and shopping.  So in all my area's I have shopped at Pic n Pay. It is like a chain grocery store, and they are everywhere, so that is where we shop. We don't go to the gym, but Elder Zebe basically has a gym in the flat. We work out really hard, harder than I was at the gym. We are also dieting really well, and I have already noticed I am getting more cut. It is really nice.
We do email at an Internet cafe now, and it seems safe.  

I am sorry that you had to come back to the hot weather. It is still getting hotter here. On Saturday night it rained, so that was nice for a change, and it kept it cool for Sunday. I hope that it will cool down a bit as it is getting into fall time. That is weird the old dental office is now gone! Hopefully Evan can get moved in soon. That is great that his house is now done. I hope that him and Carol are excited. Is Carol doing any better?

I have not yet got your package. Postal workers are still on strike. I hope it will come this week or next week. I will let you know when it gets here.
It has been a great week for me. It has really flown by. The time here has gone so fast. i have already been in Vosloorus for 3 weeks now. I can't believe it!!
I hope that this next week will be better for you. I hope you can catch up on your sleep, and that you will be able to readjust your clock. I love you and I am always thinking about you.

Love,
Elder Mitchell Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment