south africa elephants

south africa elephants

Monday, September 1, 2014

Week 49 - September 1, 14


Dear Mom, 

Well I guess first off I am relieved to get a shorter email this week haha. After I leave here I won't be able to have as much time as I need. I will most likely be back to internet cafe's where I only have an hour.
I guess this was a pretty short email because you are at the lake. 
That is awesome you are at the lake. I am so glad that Randall and Katrina where able to come over.

 So I received transfer news on Saturday. I will be leaving Secunda. I have been here for 4 transfers, so almost 6 months. I am a bit sad to leave here. I really love the area. I like being an outcast, and far away from other missionaries. All I know is I will be leaving tomorrow. I don't know yet who my new companion will be, or where I am going. I am a bit nervous, but I have been comforted a lot by the spirit.
I guess that is my spiritual experience for the week. Last time when I thought I was getting transferred, six weeks ago,  I was so nervous about packing my things. I guess just actually really stressed to get all my things together. This last week I haven't been stressed or too nervous. I got my things packed just fine Saturday night and yesterday. I only have a few more small things to throw in. I have been praying for comfort as transfers where coming up. I have received the comfort I have been asking for. 

I  feel like I haven't got to know Elder Johnson very well. I have really liked him as a companion. He has been obedient, but very relaxed about it. He has worried about himself, and not overly concerned about me

.   I don't like when other missionaries worry about everyone else, and not themselves. He is a great kid, and I really don't want a new companion. I will really miss him. We had a lot of great laughs together. I will try to get a few more pictures before tomorrow. I have felt like I have made a good difference here in Secunda. I am sad to leave here. I am also happy though because it means I am moving on and progressing forward with my mission. 

It is very weird to me also to think I have been gone a full year. I still feel like a new missionary sometimes. I guess also like I have told you that time goes very slow at the same time. Time is such a weird concept, moving fast, but also very slow.  I am very happy though to think I will be home in about a year. I have 16 more days until I hit one year. September 17 is one year since I left home. 

I am actually hoping the time keeps flying. I am pretty ready to come home. I guess that is a bit of a bad attitude. I am loving what I am doing, but sometimes I just get tired of it. I guess my mission is teaching me to be persistent though even when I don't want to be. I have felt pretty productive about my last year as a missionary. I hope I can push it out hard this next year. I am sure I will be able to. 

This week again has been pretty normal. Just teaching some, walking a lot, and talking to a ton of new people. I have been saying goodbye to people all week, because I was guessing I was leaving. I have people sign a journal I have, then I take pictures with them. I have a lot of pictures I will try and send some home this week. They are mostly with people I have been teaching, and then some members. It is weird to think I am just surrounded by black people. When I look at the pictures it seems weird, but everyday it is just normal. I am getting better at Zulu, and I try and learn a new word everyday. 

The weather this week has been a bit like Utah spring weather, very bipolar. It was pretty hot on Tuesday and Wednesday, then Thursday it was really windy, and Friday it was really Windy and cold. On both Thursday and Friday I was in Emba the township. With all the wind the sky was full of dust and dirt. It was pretty cool. I got some cool pictures of the dirt in front of the sun. I will send those as well. I also took some pictures infront of Frans' place, the place you thought was a baseball dugout. 

This week we met again with Lindo. She is still struggling with Alcohol and smoking. We made a plan with her to overcome stuff. There was also coffee at her house, so we took it!! We just said we are taking it and we did. It was her grandfathers as well, and he is an inactive member, so we thought it would help him as well. It is super sad because we have been meeting the grandparents separately. They really lack faith. They both have a lot of problems. Both the grandparents smoke, and he drinks alcohol and coffee. I hope that there family can be helped. Lindo didn't make it to church this week. 

A great feat we had was finally getting Lorraine to church. Her grandmother and her are on date to be baptized. I have been teaching her since May. She is the one who hasn't been able to get transport to church. The senior couple that drives from Jo-burg every week volunteered to pick them up. They had a great time at church. I guess the bad thing though is the senior couples aren't supposed to pick people up, so they can't do it anymore, so we are back to the drawing board with that. I really hope that she will keep coming to church so she can be baptized. 

It sounds like you are having a great week. I will have to shoot Blake an email and try and encourage him in school.  Oh yeah so  you know I am receiving your written letters still. I got 2 last week from the first of August. In the bowl is a little deep dish chocolate chip cookie I learned how to make. It takes like 5 minutes, and it is one big cookie. I thought I would just show you that I made a cookie. Sorry I didn't explain that last week. 

I hope that you have a good week. Just know that I will be fine wherever I go, and whoever my companion is. I will be able to survive, so don't worry about me too much. As you leave on Thursday have fun. I hope that you  travel safely, and I hope you will have internet so you can get my email. I hope that you can always be positive with yourself, and know that everyone loves you, and don't be so hard on yourself. I love you, and I am so grateful for you in my life. I will hear from you next week. 

Love 
Your Son

Elder Mitchell Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment